It’s been awhile since we’ve been camping. My father-in-law was in town visiting and we missed a couple of weekends of camping. Since it was a short weekend, we decided to go back to the very first campground we visited, Swanzey Lake Campground , and see how we liked it after all of our other experiences. It was more crowded than I remembered, and noisier so I think I will be downgrading it a pine cone, but we still enjoyed our stay.
First off, we were out of practice. The easy routine we had developed after the last couple of months was definitely missing, although once we setup things were definitely smoother. The best part was we made friends with a very feisty chipmunk Lee named Ralph. We had a bag of peanuts Lee was feeding him and he got so brazen that he was all over our campsite. Lee is a videographer by trade and he put together this short video to show Ralph at his finest 🙂
I also had read something about making my own fire starters out of pine cones dipped into paraffin wax and wanted to give it a try. Finding the pine cones, melting the wax, and then dipping was a very fun hour or so. Not sure how well they will work but it was a fun thing to do and I felt very industrious and thrifty while doing it. I hate paying what they charge for fire starters, so I hope these work. Update: They didn’t really work which was a shame because it was fun. If you’re looking for a thrifty alternative to fire starters tortilla chips or Doritos work pretty well.
My favorite part of the weekend( besides snuggling of course) was just hanging out and really relaxing. It has been awhile since I have felt the particular relaxation that comes with camping and I missed it. I also cooked three new recipes and they were all a big hit which is always great. See below for the specifics if you are interested. Next weekend a visit to the big RV show in Hershey PA to look at fifth wheels and the week of the 23rd it’s our first week-long camping trip, driving out to see our daughter in Minneapolis, MN and maybe our first experience with boon docking. Stay Tuned!!!
- Your experience in the same campground may vary from trip to trip
- Dipping pine cones into paraffin wax is a fun and economical) way to make fire starters
Sausage Stuffed Biscuits with Country Gravy
- Pam butter flavored cooking spray
- 1 roll prepacked biscuits Pillsbury Grand Butter tasting biscuits
- 1 roll breakfast Jimmy Dean Sausage
- 1 package country gravy mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice sausage into 1/2″ patties
- Lightly brown each patty on both sides in a medium skillet over medium low heat (They do not need to be cooked through)
- Unwrap biscuits and gently separate into 2 pieces on sprayed cookie sheet
- Place a sausage patty on the bottom part of the biscuit then lay the top of the biscuit on the patty. Gently mold the top biscuit half so it is around the patty. (It doesn’t need to be perfect)
- Cook sandwich in oven for 14 minutes
- Make sausage gravy per packet instructions
- Place sandwich on plate and cover with sausage gravy
Camper Chronicles is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Search Amazon.com here